Friday, October 2, 2009

How good do you want to be?

As promised, I will quote certain phrase from “The world’s best-selling book by Paul Arden” and elaborate on it each week. This week I’ve landed on the chapter with the question, “So how good do you want to be?” When asked, most people will say I want to be the BEST whether it is with regard to the best in their field or the best at whoever they want to be – husband, wife, daughter, son, etc. So why then isn’t every one the BEST?  This brings me to the quote of the week.

“Talent helps, but it won’t take you as far as ambition”

Everyone wants to excel at what they do but they are unwilling to make the sacrifices it takes to achieve those goals. This is what the quote intend to say… some people would rather well-liked because they confused being liked with being good. Some would rather take short-cuts but they don’t realized to be good you have to learn from experience and make mistakes. A long time ago, when I was in grade 11 I wrote a letter to myself in a notebook (which I still have to find) – in that notebook I wrote out the contract to myself. I knew to get myself on the path of being the best I had to sacrifice a few things…. in exchange for freedom to make my own decision and set my own rules I had to give up sleep, friends and peace of mind. I was ok with that but I also wrote down what I wasn’t willing to sacrifice, which was time with family, good friends and time for myself.

My start in my academic life was in science so I am fully aware of the rule, for every reaction there is an equal and opposite reaction. It doesn’t just apply to science; it applies to life as well. I know there is give and take in order to achieve what you need. So the next time I feel exhausted, hungry and grumpy due to lack of sleep I just have to remember this is my sacrifice to gain the freedom to make my own decision and play by my own rules.
 
Quote of the day:
"By working faithfully eight hours a day you may eventually get to be boss and work twelve hours a day."

Robert Frost

Posted via email from minna's posterous